Buick Cascada Forum
Buick Cascada Forums

Buick Cascada Forums (https://www.cascadaclub.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine and Technical Discussion (https://www.cascadaclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Whatís with that oil filter? (https://www.cascadaclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5677)

depperDawg 03-13-2019 10:36 PM

Whatís with that oil filter?

Do any of you change the oil yourselves?

I tried changing the oil myself -that was honestly the Most miserable oil change I ever did! The bracing is in the way for removing the filter, so I kinda yanked until it came out. Then the fun part - trying to get a new filter in place without smashing it all to heck. It felt like I spent over 1/2 hour trying to get the new filter in. :@ I did have a real delco filter, so the part was he same (I held it up next to the old one after the probs started-they looked the same. Iím not looking forward to the next oil change...

Do you loosen up the bracing or something when working on these? Any advice?

Thanks,
-doug

Dennis Carlson 03-15-2019 02:21 PM

Doesn't get any easier

I have changed my oil at least three times and it doesn't get any easier. I use a 6 inch adjustable wrench to remove the filter holder and yank the old filter out. I don't know why Opel chose a cartridge style filter. I suspect the bracing was probably added by Buick and is welded in place. I would be interesting to find out if the non US-spec models have the same bracing.

martinbrown618 04-21-2019 07:24 AM

we have Cascadia Truck recently bought for Queens Towing Service in New York, next week we will change that oil.

[email protected] 01-18-2020 11:08 PM

2016 oil filter problem

I changed the oil filter on my 2016 today - took about 3 hours. I tore up the old filter getting it out - no room to get the new filter in. I put a jack under the engine and raised it about an inch. I loosened one large bolt on the cross member bracket. Then put a wrecking bar between the cross member and the frame to gain as much space as possible. Hope I did not damage the new filter getting it in. There has got to be an easier way. I need a filter that will bend for the next filter change.
Any ideas to make this job easier?

[email protected] 01-18-2020 11:21 PM

2016 oil filter problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by depperDawg (Post 13059)
Do any of you change the oil yourselves?

I tried changing the oil myself -that was honestly the Most miserable oil change I ever did! The bracing is in the way for removing the filter, so I kinda yanked until it came out. Then the fun part - trying to get a new filter in place without smashing it all to heck. It felt like I spent over 1/2 hour trying to get the new filter in. :@ I did have a real delco filter, so the part was he same (I held it up next to the old one after the probs started-they looked the same. Iím not looking forward to the next oil change...

Do you loosen up the bracing or something when working on these? Any advice?

Thanks,
-doug

See my 1/18/20 post. Have you found anything that makes changing the oil filter easier?

[email protected] 01-19-2020 07:43 PM

How to change oil filter on 2016 Cascada.
I finally figured out how to get more space between the oil filter and the bracing. Remove 2 small bolts on the plastic shield by the oil filter to expose the front end of the bracing. There are 2 bolts that hold the end of the bracing to the frame. With a T55 socket and a long breakover bar, remove the 2 bolts. Use a pry bar or a long handle adjustable wrench to pry down on the bracing. This provides space to replace the oil filter. Pretty easy once you know the trick. I still have no idea why they would design bracing this close to the oil filter.

[email protected] 01-19-2020 07:55 PM

2016 oil filter problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Carlson (Post 13063)
I have changed my oil at least three times and it doesn't get any easier. I use a 6 inch adjustable wrench to remove the filter holder and yank the old filter out. I don't know why Opel chose a cartridge style filter. I suspect the bracing was probably added by Buick and is welded in place. I would be interesting to find out if the non US-spec models have the same bracing.

See my 1/19/2020 post - remove the 2 T55 bolts at the end of the bracing and pry the bracing down - gives room to replace the oil filter.

kadeytoby 02-10-2020 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 13167)
See my 1/19/2020 post - remove the 2 T55 bolts at the end of the bracing and pry the bracing down - gives room to replace the oil filter.

I spent about 2 hours on it and didnít want to break the stem in the filter housing. So I separated the cap and filter still didnít want to come. Thank you for this precious info. I will try your trick tonight. Canít believe this design!

kadeytoby 02-13-2020 12:04 PM

I just took off all four T55 bolts (two each side) made so easy to get new oil filter with cap on!!!